AEC has the following vacancy at this time.
Appalachian Electric Cooperative (AEC) provides electric service to close to 47,000 meters in rural East Tennessee—including homes, farms, businesses, and industries. We own and maintain an electric distribution system that covers around 600 square miles in parts of Grainger, Hamblen, Hawkins, Jefferson, and Sevier counties.
Who we are
As an electric cooperative, we are owned by the members we serve. Our goal is to improve the lives of our members by providing them with reliable electric service in a safe, courteous, and timely manner at the lowest possible price.
We currently have an opportunity for an Electrical Engineer in our New Market, Tennessee office. The Electrical Engineer participates in the planning, engineering, operation and maintenance of the transmission, substation, and distribution facilities of Appalachian Electric Cooperative (AEC).
AEC offers a competitive salary and benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, short and long term disability, paid parental leave, 401k and a company funded pension plan. Benefits eligibility is first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from a college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology
- Minimum of three years engineering experience relating to electric utility planning and operations with emphasis on design, construction, and operation of electrical distribution systems
- Possess Tennessee Professional Engineer’s license or the ability to obtain a Tennessee P.E. license within four years of employment
- Valid Driver’s license with an insurable driving record
Essential Job Functions
- Knowledgeable and proficient in compliant conformance with the standard practices of AEC, Rural Utilities Services (RUS), and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA)
- Develops short range and long range work plans, including drawings, plans and specifications for the construction of transmission, distribution and substation facilities
- Develop AEC’s Construction Work Plan (CWP) following established guidelines
- Implement and manage AEC’s distributed energy resource management system (DERMS) in coordination with TVPPA and/or Seven States Power Corporation
- Performs analysis and technical support including coordination studies, power quality, voltage drop, motor start, fault current, etc to ensure the reliability of the electrical system
- Prepares and administers construction contracts and documents
- Prepares specifications, sends out bids, evaluates and recommends contract award for jobs and materials
- Monitors construction projects to assure compliance with NEC, NESC, RUS, and Cooperative requirements
- Assists in the development of the Cooperative’s construction standards and specifications
- Reviews and approves switching procedures created by the Control Center
- Reviews and designs system protection schemes to resolve problems and maintain protective device coordination
- Working knowledge of engineering software, including but not limited to, AutoCAD, CIS, SCADA, OMS, GIS/mapping systems and engineering analysis software to meet requirements of AEC, RUS, EPA, TVA, and/or DOT
- The position requires availability to assist Engineering and Control Center operations as needed during system outages and may include nights and weekends
- Basic knowledge of electrical utility line design and field staking
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with members, vendors and other employees
- Ability and willingness to work effectively as part of a project management team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office suite programs
Full time residence must be within 30 minutes of the Cooperative main office within 90 days of hire.
To apply, send an email with resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Appalachian Electric Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.